Monday, April 16, 2012

First Day

So, I was asked (called?  more like contracted) to become the Interim Pastor for a congregation recently.  Today is my first day, officially.  I came to the church/pastor's study around noon, in case the previous pastor was moving anything out- I wanted to make sure she had space to say goodbye.  Now I've been here all afternoon.  Here are some impressions:

-Where is everyone?  I've been here alone all day, except for the lovely couple coming to drop off some plates for a community dinner coming up.  Still, I somehow imagined this would be a completely relational sort of vocation, but apparently pastors spend quite a bit of time alone.  Today, I mostly prayed and planned and read and wrote.  If the Spirit is going to be my only companion during the day, I think I'll get a radio so we can rock it out all day together.

-Meal planning will be interesting.  I brought 1.5 meals with me, consumed everything for lunch, so I'm now eating a grocery-store made salad with mayonnaise and bacon on top (really, Midwest?  mayo and bacon need to be on everything?!).  I live approximately 40 miles away from the church.

-There's also no coffee shop here.  I'm hoping someone will clue me in to where there is "community" happening around here.  I'm guessing it might involve taco pizza at the local gas station (and I'm not even kidding).

-The Deacons meeting is in an hour, and I am more excited about just being around people than what it is we'll discuss at the meeting.  And I'm an introvert.

-How'd it get so cold again?  And what is this I hear about snow storms possible in April?  I'm not sure I'm okay with this.

-Despite not getting to meet with people so far today, nor talking with more than the local phone directory lady calling to update the church information, I'm still super excited about this Interim Pastor thing and have unbounded energy at the moment.  Seriously, can I just dance around the office in praise to God right now?  I've been filled with dreams for years about this, and here I am in the Pastor's study, writing liturgy and reading and dancing around the office with the Spirit.

Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment